"This is my 4th year in the district and our department is what keeps me going. It's wonderful to work with a group of people who truly care about the well-being of our students and are dedicated to their best interests. We are a forward-thinking group of people open to positive change and innovation. The nature of our profession is to support those around us, and everyone I've met does this with grace and humor. " - Lesley Rhodes, Social Worker
"We have a fantastically supportive director who problem solves with us when we need it and who fights for us at the district and state level. I do not leave the district because I believe that I would not get the support and care anywhere else. I love APS!" - Adria Young, LCSW, Social Worker
"I love that in APS I get to really work directly with students on mental health issues. The kids and families need me and the support I provide. I feel like I can be successful here and I feel supported and appreciated. The Behavior Health team has provided the most useful professional development I have ever had in my career as a school social worker." - Christiane Laracuente, LCSW, Social Worker
Quick Facts about Aurora
- Population 345,867
- Less than an hour away from the Rocky Mountains to enjoy skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, and exploring during the weekends.
- Mild weather
- Six public golf courses located in Aurora
- Miles of trails for horseback riding, biking, and hiking.
- Top Notch Healthcare with the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado Hospital, and Childrens Hospital Colorado. All ranked as top hospitals in Colorado and even nationally.
- Ranked #3 on Sperling's BestPlaces list of Most Playful Cities
- People in Denver spend a lot on musical instruments, sporting events, and love their national forests. The city scored high for swimming pools, physical activity, and residents self-reported satisfaction with life. Outdoor lovers take note: Denver tends to have extreme temperatures, and has little access to lakes and rivers.
Professional Development and Ongoing Support
We provide several opportunities to contribute to your professional and career growth. Robust training that continues from onboarding through the rest of your career here at APS as well as optional counseling tracks. Our curriculum is always evidence-based and vetted by experts in the field to ensure meaningful development and implementation. There is cross-functional training that expands your expertise.
Our district has several opportunities to customize your career path. You will be mentored and part of a team that ensures that you understand how we operate and grow. We have:
- Differentiated professional development
- Experiential development
- Counseling tracks so you can learn different modalities – you get to select which to
- Continuing Education Credit
- Paid outside of hours for some training for some positions
- Salary Advancement Credit
Awards and Recognition
- Kaiser Permanente Honor Roll: Director of Mental Health and Counseling
- Historic Graduation Rates
- Superintendent of the Year
- Colorado School Counselor Association Award: Lance Huffman Award